When the holidays are coming up, your garage door becomes an inviting canvas for artistic expression. Delight your neighbors by going beyond hanging up Christmas lights. Use easy-to-find materials and turn your garage door into a fantastic holiday scene.
Before you decorate your garage door, clean it off with a water hose and rag. For tougher stains, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Then, get started on one of these exciting garage door decoration ideas.
Have you ever considered turning your garage door into a large gift box?
You’ll need a 9 x 10 colored tarp, thick ribbon, a bow, painter’s tape, and a ladder.
- Open your garage door. While standing on a ladder, you need to spread the tarp over the garage door. The edges should hang over the back side of your garage door. Tape the edges to the garage door’s back.
- Tape one end of the ribbon to the back side of the door, in the door’s center. Unravel the ribbon over the top of the garage door and in a straight line down the center of the garage door. When it extends slightly below the garage door, tape the other end to the back of the door.
- Repeat with another length of ribbon going the opposite direction. Tape one end of the ribbon behind the garage door at the center of the left side of the door. Extend the ribbon across the door. Tape the other end to the right side of the door.
- Tape a bow in the middle of your present.
Add some lights or garlands on your house to complete the look.
There are many garage-sized holiday murals available in local stores. You have a variety to choose from, with messages like “Merry Christmas” and “Happy Hanukkah.” Simply choose your favorite one and use painter’s tape to secure it to your garage door.
- Lighted Christmas Tree
Use Christmas lights to form a beautiful Christmas tree that shines from your garage.
You’ll need 25 outdoor light clips, 1 strand of green LED Christmas lights, 1 outdoor terrace hook, 14 ornaments and ornament hooks, and 1 bow.
- Follow package instructions for attaching the outdoor light clips to your garage. Attach three light clips to form a large triangle shape on your garage for the tree.
- Use five outdoor light clips to create a zig zag pattern below the triangle, for the tree’s stump.
- Use five outdoor light clips to form a zig zag pattern inside the tree.
- Start from the bottom of the tree stump and string the lights from clip to clip to form the stump.
- String the lights around the light clips in the triangle shape to form the tree.
- String the lights back and forth inside the tree to create a zig zag shape.
- Use the outdoor terrace hook to hang the bow on top of the tree.
- Attach the remaining outdoor light clips in different spots inside the tree. Bend each ornament hook in half to hang an ornament from each light clip.
Make sure there is a plug nearby to plug in the light strand. When you turn on the Christmas light strand, your tree with gleam brightly for all to see.
- Magnet Message
Yet another option to give your garage door a unique look is holiday magnets or decals. You can buy these garage decorations online or at a store. Use them to create your own arrangement of holiday pictures and messages on your garage door.
A snowman face will make you smile every time you pull into the driveway.
You’ll need orange construction paper, black construction paper, a bow, and painter’s tape.
- With the black construction paper, cut out two giant circles for eyes and eight medium-sized circles for the smile.
- With the orange construction paper, cut out a giant thin triangle shape for a carrot nose.
- Cut a hat shape out of the black construction paper.
- Tape the shapes on the garage door in the shape of eyes, a nose, and a smile.
- Tape the bow on the hat and tape the hat at an angle in the corner of the garage door.
You could add extra features to your snowman as well, such as a bowtie.
A projector shines lights toward your garage door’s surface, projecting images such as swirling snowflakes, dancing reindeer, or a countdown to Christmas day. These projectors are available for as low $20 at many home stores.
While some of these ideas are easier to execute than others, all will add color and warmth to your garage door and create a delightful holiday scene. Before you try one of these decoration ideas, make sure your garage door is up to the task. Call AAA Garage Door for any garage door repairs or updates.